The Council consists of 16 members and meets approximately every 6 weeks. Members of the public are allowed to attend meetings of the Council and can take part in the public participation section at the start of every meeting. You can have 5 minutes to address the Council on your issues or concerns. If you would like to take part in the Public Participation part of the meeting, you should contact our Administration Team on 0151 526 3705 and advise your attendance to the meeting. If you have any concerns, our Staff can offer you helpful advice on how to present your issues. A guidance sheet has been produced to help you. Copies can be posted, emailed to you, or collected from Maghull Town Hall.
Full Council is responsible for:-
Finance & Amenities Committee
- Setting the Annual Budget for Maghull
- Deciding what the spending priorities are going to be
- Representing the views of local residents to Sefton Council on local issues (for example planning, new building developments etc)
- Deciding which projects will be carried out for the benefit of the community
- Managing and improving the parks and open spaces in Maghull owned by the Council, including recreational facilities at Maghull Town Hall.
- Managing the Town Hall and providing free time for local community groups to use it
- Promoting the involvement of local communities in decisions that affect them and supporting local community groups and organisations set up and develop
- In addition, the Council makes decisions on matters referred to it by other committees.
This is made up of all members of the Council. It is the most important Committee of the Council because it is responsible for the Management of the Council’s finances. This is your money paid to the Council as the precept. The Chair of the Finance and Amenities Committee is Councillor Patrick McKinley.
Finance & Amenities is responsible for:-
Audit & Governance Committee
- Producing the Annual Budget for approval by Full Council.
- Monitoring the financial performance of the Council.
- Making recommendations on spending priorities to the Full Council.
- Agreeing the projects to be delivered in Maghull.
- Agreeing the events timetable.
- Agreeing budget for parks & facilities.
This is made up of 6 members of the Council. The Chair of the Audit and Governance Committee is Councillor John Sayers.
Audit & Governance evaluates the work of the council to make sure that it:-
Community Support & Engagement
- Complies with all legal and financial rules.
- Operates fairly and follows the proper procedures laid down in the Council’s Standing Orders and Financial Regulations.
- Makes reports and recommendations to the Council about internal and external audit reports (audits are carried out at intervals throughout the year).
- Looks after the Councils risk management strategy and policy.
- Oversees the Council’s Performance and Objectives strategy.
- Makes sure the Council’s insurance arrangements are properly in place.
This is made up of 9 members of the Council. The Chair of the Community Support and Engagement is Councillor Maurice Byrne.
Community Support & Engagement decides events and community development projects including:-
- Setting financial budgets for community development.
- Manage events calendar for the year.
- Set strategic goals and objects for council communications strategy.
The Personnel Committee is made up of 6 members of the Council and is Chaired by Councillor Caroline Esterson.
Personnel responsibilities are:-
- Deal with recruitment and selection of employees
- Manage discipline and grievance issues amongst the workforce
- Make sure proper management arrangements are in place for the workforce
- Make decisions on training and development of the workforce
*Please note that members of the public cannot attend meetings of the Personnel Committee.